Monday, September 15, 2014

Concept Map Reflection

Concept mapping is a great way for a teacher to simplify and condense a lesson plan to help highlight key points of the material they are covering. A concept map could also be used as a diagram to display for students to help them see the main points the teacher is discussing. A concept map can be used as a visual display to teach from, or it could be taught to students as a way to help them brainstorm ideas. It acts as an outline to help students remember to focus on the key concepts of the ideas they are trying to express. The Kidspiration software used to create my concept map was fairly simple to use, and it was a great tool to help me quickly organize a lesson plan that I could teach to students. I feel as if it would be software that students in elementary classrooms could use to help them learn how to design a concept map. Using this software would help teachers meet the first two ISTE standards by helping integrate technology into their learning, and helping students learn to use technology to express their creativity in a digital format. It would encourage innovative thinking and employ students in discovering inventive growth. The only issue I had with Kidsperation software was trying to download it on my personal computer. It did not want to download at first, but I was finally able to get it to finish downloading.
   


I did this concept map based on the different habitats of Earth. This could be a lesson for students to show them how other parts of the world may be very different from ours. Some children may have never been exposed to different landscapes, and I think it would be a simple diagram to introduce them to the other habitats that exist.     

No comments:

Post a Comment