Friday, November 21, 2014

Assistive Technology

Assistive technology is technology that is used to assist someone with a disability, whether it be vision impairment, a hearing disability, or any other disability. I never realized how many free assets where included on Windows computers until I did an assignment for the IT365 class that required me to create a PowerPoint showing most of the different features that are built into Windows to help people with disabilities. It is necessary for me to know how to use these assistance features in my future classroom in order for me to help assist any student that may have a disability. A few of the features I learned how to use were: a high contrast setting and a magnifying setting – to help students with visual impairments, and the Flash feature – to help students with hearing impairments see a flash on the screen when the caps lock key is on. Knowing how to use this assistive technology enables me as a future teacher to be able to use technology to teach all of my students as well as I can. It also helps to ensure that I will be able follow ISTE Standards by designing digital age experiences for all of my students. Here is a link to my PowerPoint:

No comments:

Post a Comment